Sunday, February 20, 2011

PCOS-friendly Cooking

Today is my first day on the PCOS diet. No, it is nothing like the South Beach Diet or the Atkins Diet! PCOS stands for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. Long story short: it's a problem with insulin and lady reproductive parts and hormones. Pretty much. I found out yesterday that I am among the many women in the world with this condition. Luckily I caught it early enough that if I change my diet and exercise (to help with metabolism and stuff), I should be able to fix it and hopefully still have children when I'm older. So anyway... I did my research on what NOT to eat and what TO eat to replace those things that I am NOT to eat. I am NOT to eat very many carbohydrates (especially empty carbs) and sugar (so it's a good thing that I don't like donuts, 'cause they're pretty much the PCOS Antichrist). I've been mourning over the 'no carb/low carb' rule because I am French. I eat MASSIVE amounts of bread and crackers. I'm also Spanish, I eat MASSIVE amounts off tortilla chips! I don't think being Spanish has anything to do with that since tortilla chips are a Mexican thing, but whatever, I was looking for an excuse. Oh yeah, and cut down on starchy foods. Do you have any idea how terrible THAT is for me?! I'm Irish and German, man! I live for potatoes! But, hey, I can give up bread and potatoes if it means I can have kids, because having kids is the most important thing to me (yes, I am old-fashioned!). But getting back to the point... I have promised to post recipes on here, and I still will! Just expect them to be super healthy and full of substitutes for sugar and carbs (especially bread and flour). There is always a substitute. That's my new mantra: "there is always a substitute..."
I just had a smoothie. Not exactly a PCOS smoothie (gross. That makes me think: polycystic ovary smoothie.), since I haven't had a chance to go to the organic market, but pretty close! I used coconut milk instead of sugary juice, organic yogurt (it wasn't sugar free, though. Hence not a completely PCOS-friendly smoothie), frozen strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries (not organic, which is probably another no-no for PCOS), and a little bit of almond milk because it's organic and I love it (though it had sugar, too. So, probably all my sugar for today). Friday I'm going to the store (Pilgrim's Market, the organic food store and most beautiful thing in my life) to get tofu, more organic foods, and some supplements. Anyway. I'm off to go make some breadless (and therefore lifeless) lunch.
Love,
Belle

No comments:

Post a Comment