Friday, March 11, 2011

Irish Punk (and my freakish attraction to it)

The Tossers (one of my personal favorites) The Valley of the Shadow of Death. Check out Romany, Siobhan, and Claddagh- they're my favorite Tossers songs.

Dropkick Murphys t-shirt. My favorites of theirs are: The Dirty Glass, The State of Massachusetts, Johnny I Hardly Knew Ya and I'm Shipping up to Boston.
The Pogues (basically THE Irish punk band) lyrics from the song: Fairytale of New York. I want this; the lyrics are so rudely awesome.
The Pogues Spewing t-shirt. Another favorite shirt. Best Pogues songs (in my opinion): Sally MacLennane, If I Should Fall From Grace With God, Boys From the County Hell.
Pretty basic Flogging Molly t-shirt
Do you see this Skeletor/bagpiper? How freakin' cool can a shirt be?
This is a good Flogging Molly t-shirt. I think they're out of stock from this source, but if you search 'flogging molly t shirt' on Google images, you'll get plenty of stuff. Best Flogging Molly songs are Float, The Lightning Storm, From the Back of a Broken Dream, and Man with No Country (and tons of others).
Self explanatory.
I thought this was a really cool Pogues tee. It's one of their CDs (the best one in my opinion), named for one of the songs on the album: If I Should Fall From Grace With God.

So, yeah, okay, I'm an Irish Punk fan. Okay, huge fan. I discovered Flogging Molly from my bud's older (cute) brother and thought it was unbelievably awesome. Then I found The Tossers when I was searching Flogging Molly on Myspace music. They're a little more uuumm... warlike... and they cuss sometimes. And, forgive me, I'm a teenager, I need SOME REBELLION! Then, I wondered how many Irish Punk bands could there be out there in the world... et voila! Enter Dropkick Murphys and the Pogues, and later I found The Dubliners (who weren't punk but they kind of set off the movement). So there you go. An entire subculture for me to immerse myself in. At least that's what I told my mommy: "I have to go to the Flogging Molly concert because I'm an anthropologist and it will give me a chance to observe the subculture of Irish Punk concert-going. It's a learning opportunity and you'd be remiss as a mother if you didn't let me go". Nice, eh? It probably doesn't help my case as a responsible, educated young woman when I search for punk concert tickets, an Egyptian warrior tattoo, and plan a roadtrip across two (okay, three) states all at the same time. She probably thinks I'm having a rebellious stage. Little does she know I already did. At a conveniently young age. I say "conveniently" because I got it out of my system (somewhat) in 4th grade and thankfully don't have to worry about that anymore. What is it with parents anyway? They seem to think that once you reach 17 you're soul is trapped deep inside your body and a long-buried zombie-self surfaces. Apparently we 17 year-olds can't control it; it's a natural phase for everyone.
Hmmm. I really let fly didn't I? Well, enjoy these rad tees. Just in time for Saint Patty's Day! Of course, being truly Irish, I'd wear these year long, but on St. Patrick's Day anyone can wear these, because- if only for the one day- we're all Irish.
What a load of sh*t. Haha!
Love,
Belle


No comments:

Post a Comment