Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Willa Monday style OR "Beauty cannot be eaten with a spoon"

 So, today I'm going to talk about Willa Monday- a character on The Finder. The very first time I saw this show (the short mini-pilot in a Bones episode) I liked the overall idea. It's cool: this brain-damaged guy can find stuff because he "follows the vibrations" of the Earth, I guess. Then when the show finally came out to stand on its own, I totally fell girl-crush hard for Willa Monday- a teenage American Gypsy parolee who lives in a trailer and works in a bar owned by Walter (aka: the guy who finds stuff). Sometimes I feel like the show is a little heavy in Gypsy stereotypes, but I think it manages to do it somehow inoffensively. Willa is a badass Romani girl with a chip on her shoulder and an awesome sense of style.

I am in love with her messy braided hair styles and eclectic ("bohemian" though I hate to say it) tops and jewelry. She also wears these very utilitarian boots and crochet berets. I weirdly relate to her, too. I'm not a juvenile delinquent or anything, but I can relate to a part-Romani girl who enjoys braids more than the average person.


When I had long hair I was always experimenting with crazy braids. I'd sit in class and be French braiding my hair upside-down and putting fishtails and twists and whatnot. I chopped my LONG hair to my shoulders for its health, but I still like to braid it, just not as complex as my old braids.
 This is a waterfall braid. I LOVE these braids! Here is a tutorial. I do these on either side of my head. It's one of the few complicated braids I can still do with my hair shorter. When it's long again I'll do it like the picture. I don't want to seem like I don't like my hair short, I do!
Robin Calhoun was a pro surfer in the 60s and 70s. She inspires me immensely, especially this picture. Anyway, the point is: I like my hair short because it reminds me of awesome female pro surfers.
 But I'd also love to have it long again, because then I could do my hair like a cool fictitious bar-working Gypsy girl with awesome shirts.
   I have this shirt in two colors: ivory and turquoise.
 Willa's also got loads of great jewelry.
 Oh yeah, and in case you're wondering, "Beauty cannot be eaten with a spoon" is an old Romani (Gypsy) proverb, according to "special-dictionary.com". I don't know what it means but I like it.

This hat is from the Etsy shop Softspoken. Click on the picture to go to the shop.
 This ^ is the life I want, exactly.
I'd better stop. I could just keep going! 
Love,
Belle

No comments:

Post a Comment